– Credit Suisse dominates news flow over the weekend, on the health of its balance sheet amid a historic surge in rates. The CEO moved to soothe worries in a memo that called reports “factually inaccurate” and unveiled initiatives to deleverage riskier parts of their balance. The stock fell 20.8% during the week of September 19th, before slipping another 5.3% last week, and pointing down another 5% this morning.
– Crude oil is sharply higher after OPEC+ moves to meet in person. Reports point to a cut of 1 mbpd and more. As Crude rallies into Wednesday’s meeting, are we getting a ‘buy the rumor, sell the news’ event?
– The U.K. government reverses course and throws out plan to cut taxes for highest earners. British Pound is pointing higher this morning, erasing its entire fallout from September 23rd onward. The Yield of 10-year Gilts has fallen about 70bps from last Wednesday’s peak, reaching a one-week low.
– Our focus in the written version of the Morning Express on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday will focus on the Federal Reserve tightening financial conditions amid economic conditions visibly deteriorating; ‘Damned if They Do, Damned if They Don’t’
– ISM Manufacturing due at 9:00 am CT, SPGI Manufacturing PMI final Sept due at 8:45 am CT.
– Atlanta Fed President Bostic talking ahead of the bell, Richmond Fed President Barkin speaks at 10:45 am CT, Kansas City Fed President George, a 2022 voter, speaks at 1:15 am CT, and NY Fed President Williams, permanent voting seat, speaks at 2:10 pm CT… Click here to get our (FULL) daily reports emailed to you!
E-mini S&P (December) / NQ (December)
S&P, yesterday’s close: Settled at 3601.50, down 52.75 on Friday and 107.50 on the week
NQ, yesterday’s close: Settled at 11,035.50, down 192.75 on Friday and 341.25 on the week
– The quarterly close was ugly, a buyer’s strike, but does a new quarter bring a breath of fresh air. Things are pointing positively ahead of the opening bell.
– The first hour will be telling as price action faces levels of critical resistance defined below.
– Will be crucial for the tape to hold above our Pivot and point of balance through that first hour at 3613.75-3621 in the S&P and 11,090 in the NQ.
– Such construction will build for a test of major three-star resistance in the S&P and NQ at 3697.50 and 11,222-11,266… Click here to get our (FULL) daily reports emailed to you!
Resistance: 3639-3642**, 3661.25-3662**, 3682.50-3684.50**, 3697.50***, 3708.75-3713.75**, 3732-3741.75****, 3751.25**, 3761.50-3763**, 3772***
Support: 3601.50***, 3587***, 3571.75**, 3491-3500.75****
Resistance: 11,135-11,166**, 11,222-11,266***, 11,337-11,357**, 11,402-11,442***, 11,555-11,575****, 11,613**, 11,685-11,693***, 11,769-11,792***
Support: 11,035-11,061***, 10,890-10,942**, 10,656***
Crude Oil (November)
Yesterday’s close: Settled at 79.49, down 1.74 on Friday and up 0.75 on the week
– Per our note above, Crude oil is sharply higher after OPEC+ moves to meet in person. Reports point to a cut of 1 mbpd and more. As Crude rallies into Wednesday’s meeting, are we getting a ‘buy the rumor, sell the news’ event?
– U.S. imposed sanction on Indian Oil firm for dealing with Iran. Additional sanctions on Iran coming down the pipeline from EU for government reaction to protests. Iran still says a Nuclear Deal is possible, but we find it less and less likely, helping to buoy prices.
– Price action has cleared the 21-dma early 83.47, aligning with previous resistance to help create our Pivot and point of balance on the session; bulls in the driver’s seat while above here…Click here to get our (FULL) daily reports emailed to you!
– Still, major three-star resistance looming at 84.91.
Resistance: 84.10**, 84.91***, 86.54-86.68***, 88.96-89.63***
Support: 81.63-81.94***, 79.97-80.35***, 79.08-79.49***, 78.49**, 77.80**, 76.21-76.55***, 75.21***
Gold (December) / Silver (December)
Gold, yesterday’s close: Settled at 1672.0, up 3.4 on Friday and 16.4 on the week
Silver, yesterday’s close: Settled at 19.039, up 0.327 on friday 0.129 on the week
– Silver and Platinum are leading higher this morning with Gold trading firm.
– Relief on the currency front, but mainly rates has helped underpin the strength.
– Odds of a 75bp hike in November slipped from 72.5% probability one week ago, to 54% today.
– Geopolitics and deteriorating global financial conditions helping to boost precious metals sentiment.
– With Silver breaking out, our next bit level is rare major four-star resistance at 21.02-21.41. With strong resistance in Gold at 1696-1699… Click here to get our (FULL) daily reports emailed to you!
Resistance: 1681-1685**, 1696-1699***, 1710.2**, 1723.4***
Support: 1653**, 1640.4**, 1630.2-1631.9***, 1623.2***, 1600**
Resistance: 20.42-20.45**, 21.02-21.41****
Pivot: 19.78-20.01 Support: 18.98-19.05***, 18.71-18.75***
Originally Posted October 3, 2022 – Are Fears Overblown?
Disclosure: Blue Line Futures
Futures trading involves substantial risk of loss and may not be suitable for all investors. Trading advice is based on information taken from trade and statistical services and other sources Blue Line Futures, LLC believes are reliable. We do not guarantee that such information is accurate or complete and it should not be relied upon as such. Trading advice reflects our good faith judgment at a specific time and is subject to change without notice. There is no guarantee that the advice we give will result in profitable trades. All trading decisions will be made by the account holder. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. The information contained within is not to be construed as a recommendation of any investment product or service.
Disclosure: Interactive Brokers
Information posted on IBKR Traders’ Insight that is provided by third-parties and not by Interactive Brokers does NOT constitute a recommendation by Interactive Brokers that you should contract for the services of that third party. Third-party participants who contribute to IBKR Traders’ Insight are independent of Interactive Brokers and Interactive Brokers does not make any representations or warranties concerning the services offered, their past or future performance, or the accuracy of the information provided by the third party. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
This material is from Blue Line Futures and is being posted with permission from Blue Line Futures. The views expressed in this material are solely those of the author and/or Blue Line Futures and IBKR is not endorsing or recommending any investment or trading discussed in the material. This material is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any security. To the extent that this material discusses general market activity, industry or sector trends or other broad based economic or political conditions, it should not be construed as research or investment advice. To the extent that it includes references to specific securities, commodities, currencies, or other instruments, those references do not constitute a recommendation to buy, sell or hold such security. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.
In accordance with EU regulation: The statements in this document shall not be considered as an objective or independent explanation of the matters. Please note that this document (a) has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and (b) is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination or publication of investment research.
Any trading symbols displayed are for illustrative purposes only and are not intended to portray recommendations.
Disclosure: Futures Trading
Futures are not suitable for all investors. The amount you may lose may be greater than your initial investment. Before trading futures, please read the CFTC Risk Disclosure. A copy and additional information are available at ibkr.com.