- Covid in focus. Many drug and medical firms report earnings this week, so portfolio managers will get more insight into the fight against the pandemic.
- Auto earnings will also be a theme. Consumer Discretionary has been hit hard by Coronavirus.
- Industrials stocks will present at the Jefferies Global Industrials Conference 2020.
Trends to Watch
- We get a taste of the global market on Monday with Heineken reporting first half 2020 EPS. Alcohol sales to restaurants have been dismal this year, but more folks are drinking-in during quarantine, so it shapes up to be a fascinating period for the Dutch brewing company.
- NTT Docomo also reports on Monday. The telecom firm tracks mobility trends of its users, so there may be some COVID-19 insights provided. Japan is currently suffering from rising new daily confirmed infections.
- Tuesday features Mitsubishi Financial Group reporting their first quarter 2020 financial results. The stock fell sharply earlier this year, and has not recovered much as the auto-financing niche has been extraordinarily difficult this year.
- Bayer will attract attention with its earnings release. The German multinational pharmaceutical company may have important views on the health situation around the globe.
- What firms have been perhaps most negatively impacts by Covid? Consumer Discretionary stocks. Disney reports Tuesday afternoon. The mass media and entertainment conglomerate announced it would suspend its first half 2020 dividend back in May – a key indicator of tough times.
- Start your engines on Wednesday as Japan’s Honda and Germany’s BMW report. Honda may provide guidance into the lower-end market while BMW has exposure to a wealthier clientele.
- In the States, Simon Property reports to the street, the biggest retail REIT – so this report will be widely followed as brick and mortar retail has been devasted by COVID-19’s economic impacts.
- Costco Wholesale, which had the dubious honor of notoriety for long lines just to enter the store during the pandemic, reports same store sales on Wednesday. Costco is a barometer of upper-middle-class spending. June was a strong month for “SSS” with a 13.6% rise in comps (ex-gasoline), so the bar may be elevated. Unfortunately, free samples are still off the table.
- Teva, one of the world’s biggest generic drug manufacturers, reports in the morning.
- Stepping aside from earnings, The Jefferies Global Industrials Conference 2020 will be held virtually on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Key companies taking part are Dow Components Boeing and Caterpillar. Honeywell will also present, providing an insight into the US economy. Internationally, Israel Chemicals will be on hand.
- Global industrials stocks have been under pressure this year as the world experienced a severe economic contraction during Q2 from COVID-19’s impacts. A 32.9% Q2 US GDP decline (quarter-on-quarter, annualized) and a 44.3% Euro area economic contraction created perhaps the toughest business environment ever for global manufacturing companies.
- Axa, the French insurance firm, will give a glimpse into global financial operations first thing in the morning.
- Becton Dickson reports their third quarter financial results before the market open. The New Jersey-based medical technology company has received orders for vaccine delivery equipment such as syringes in the last several weeks. BDX is not making major headlines as being at the forefront of the COVID-19 fight, but this could be one to watch.
- While Health Care will be a key sector this week, we’ll get a check on Energy from EOG Thursday afternoon. The stock has been under tremendous pressure this year with oil prices falling to negative $40 per barrel back in April. Major oil & gas exploration & production firms have announced record capex cuts. It’s tough times in the oil patch.
- While many industries struggle to cope with the virus, Nice Ltd has benefited. The Tel-Aviv-based enterprise software solutions company has seen its stock price increase more than 25% this year.
- The week wraps up on a quiet note. Apple trades ex its $0.82 quarterly dividend, but more eyes will be focused on the US employment report during the morning. IBM also goes ex-div on Friday.
- For earnings, Japan Post Holdings and Japan Post Bank report their first quarter 2021 fiscal earnings. Insights could be gleamed here regarding global logistics and banking operations.
- International Business Machines Corp. (IBM): Presenting at IBM Integration Technical Conference 2020
- Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ): Pay date for Quarterly dividend of $0.615
- NTT DoCoMo Inc (9437_JP): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q1 2020
- Heineken NV (HEIA_NL): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for H1 2020
- Comcast Corporation (CMCSA): Video Release date for Red Penguins
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (8306_JP): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q1 2020
- Bayer (BAYN_DE): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q2 2020
- The Walt Disney Company (DIS): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q3 2020
- Boeing Co. (BA): Presenting at Jefferies Global Industrials Conference (Virtual) 2020
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (COST): Same store sales report date for July UNCONFIRMED
- Honda Motor Co. Ltd. (7267_JP): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q1 2021
- Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW_DE): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q2 2020
- Simon Property Group Inc. (SPG): UNCONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q2 2020
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA_IL): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q2 2020
- Caterpillar Inc (CAT): Presenting at Jefferies Global Industrials Conference (Virtual) 2020
- Wells Fargo & Company (WFC): Ex Date for Quarterly dividend of $0.100
- AXA SA (AXAHY): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for H1 2020
- Becton, Dickinson and Company (BDX): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q3 2020
- EOG Resources, Inc. (EOG): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q2 2020
- NICE Ltd. (NICE): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q2 2020
- International Business Machines Corp. (IBM): Ex Date for Quarterly dividend of $1.630
- Japan Post Holdings Co., Ltd. (6178_JP): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q1 2021
- Japan Post Bank Co., Ltd. (7182_JP): CONFIRMED Next Earnings Date for Q1 2021
- Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN): Video Release date for Boyz in the Wood
Disclosure: Interactive Brokers
Information posted on IBKR Traders’ Insight that is provided by third-parties and not by Interactive Brokers does NOT constitute a recommendation by Interactive Brokers that you should contract for the services of that third party. Third-party participants who contribute to IBKR Traders’ Insight are independent of Interactive Brokers and Interactive Brokers does not make any representations or warranties concerning the services offered, their past or future performance, or the accuracy of the information provided by the third party. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
This material is from Wall Street Horizon and is being posted with permission from Wall Street Horizon. The views expressed in this material are solely those of the author and/or Wall Street Horizon and IBKR is not endorsing or recommending any investment or trading discussed in the material. This material is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any security. To the extent that this material discusses general market activity, industry or sector trends or other broad based economic or political conditions, it should not be construed as research or investment advice. To the extent that it includes references to specific securities, commodities, currencies, or other instruments, those references do not constitute a recommendation to buy, sell or hold such security. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.