Here is the Window; Risk is to the Upside

By:

President of Blue Line Futures

Market Activity:

– Do not miss our Top Things to Watch this Week, out every Sunday.

– Stocks were overdue for a bounce. That began in the final minutes Thursday and played out through much of Friday.

– A slate of April economic data out of China last night quickly eroded the positive tailwinds; Industrial Production contracted YoY at -2.9% vs +0.4% exp, Retail Sales whiffed -11.1% vs -6.1%, and Fixed Asset Investment was a touch below at +6.8% vs +7.0%.

– S&P started softening from session highs at 8:00 pm CT Sunday night; sellers were preparing for a weak slate of Chinese data to arrive at 9:00 am CT.

– What is to be expected when you lockdown the largest city and 25 million people (Shanghai), impose strict curbs with mass testing on the second largest city (Beijing) and more than 21 million people, and impose some curbs on the third-largest city (Guangzhou)?

– We acknowledge that economic data across the globe, from China to U.S., and recession fears are rising.

– Former Goldman Sachs CEO, Lloyd Blankfein, made headlines over the weekend, saying the risk of a recession is “very, very high”.

– Also, the Federal Reserve has telegraphed it will suppress demand to slow the economy and cannot guarantee a soft landing. In other words, battling inflation is more important than avoiding a recession.

– With that said, we are approaching the realm of known knowns and excessive negativity which opens the door to positive surprises and less selling on negative news; risk is to the upside.

– We do not believe “risk is to the upside” as an ongoing phenomenon, but a window between now and July.

– The Federal Reserve has been very transparent about its plans at the June 15th meeting, and a 50-basis point hike is priced with an 82.9% probability (17.1% chance of 75-bps).

– CPI for April was hot last week, but April was never supposed to be an inflection point for inflation; it is June through August that will be delivered in July through September.

– Catch up on last week’s conversation; how a VIX spike is not needed to create a bottom in stocks.

  1. Friday’s Midday Market Minute
  2. Friday’s interview with TD Ameritrade
  3. Welcome to 2016, Thursday’s written piece. 

– NY Empire State Manufacturing whiffed at -11.60 versus +17.00 expected.

– NY Fed President Williams speaks at 8:20 am CT.

E-mini S&P (June) / NQ (June)

S&P, yesterday’s close: Settled at 4019.75, up 92.00 on Friday and down 99.75 on the week

NQ, yesterday’s close: Settled at 12,382.75, up 435.50 on Friday and down 313.00 on the week

– Last week, the S&P came within 10 points of 3846, a 20% correction from highs, and the top end of our rare major four-star support.

– Last week, the NQ perfectly held the 50% retracement back to pandemic low.

– Sign of near-term momentum switching hands; late selling Thursday was staved off for a rally in final minutes and midday selling Friday was defended for a second half rebound.

– Selling on the heels of China’s data held Friday’s midday low, which held above Friday’s opening bell range. This is the constructive action we need to see.

– QQQ/XLP continued a relative strength thrust, must maintain to confirm follow through.

– We will remain more Bullish as long as price action can hold out above major three-star support at … Click here to get our (FULL) daily reports emailed to you!

Crude Oil (June)

Yesterday’s close: Settled at 110.49, up 4.36 on Friday and 0.72 on the week

– China’s economic data weighed on Crude and specifically that refinery throughput fell to a two-year low of 12.61 mbpd.

– As we noted above, China’s data was expected to be poor and they are ok with that, playing the long game.

– Saudi Aramco, now the world’s largest company after dethroning Apple last week, reported record profits.

– Iraq is said to reach production targets in May and June.

– Prices came in overnight on heels of China and Iraq, but lifting due to Germany saying early today the EU will move forward on Russian Oil embargo despite not having unanimous support. – The bulls are in the driver’s seat while out above … Click here to get our (FULL) daily reports emailed to you!

Gold (June) / Silver (July)

Gold, yesterday’s close: Settled at 1808.2, down 16.4 on Friday and 74.6 on the week

Silver, yesterday’s close: Settled at 21.001, up 0.228 on Friday and down 1.366 on the week

– Metals plunged on the heels of China’s data but have stabilized into this morning as bad news getting priced in and already expected.

– U.S. Dollar Index has fallen off session highs and Treasuries remain buoyant, helping underpin narrative for oversold bounce.

– Gold held old gap support at 1786.6-1789.3 from late January.

– Silver held a higher low than last week.

– Price action in Gold must trade out above our momentum indicator and resistance at … Click here to get our (FULL) daily reports emailed to you!

Originally Posted on May 16, 2022 – Here is the Window; Risk is to the Upside

Disclosure: Blue Line Futures

Futures trading involves substantial risk of loss and may not be suitable for all investors. Trading advice is based on information taken from trade and statistical services and other sources Blue Line Futures, LLC believes are reliable. We do not guarantee that such information is accurate or complete and it should not be relied upon as such. Trading advice reflects our good faith judgment at a specific time and is subject to change without notice. There is no guarantee that the advice we give will result in profitable trades. All trading decisions will be made by the account holder. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. The information contained within is not to be construed as a recommendation of any investment product or service.

Disclosure: Interactive Brokers

Information posted on IBKR Traders’ Insight that is provided by third-parties and not by Interactive Brokers does NOT constitute a recommendation by Interactive Brokers that you should contract for the services of that third party. Third-party participants who contribute to IBKR Traders’ Insight are independent of Interactive Brokers and Interactive Brokers does not make any representations or warranties concerning the services offered, their past or future performance, or the accuracy of the information provided by the third party. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

This material is from Blue Line Futures and is being posted with permission from Blue Line Futures. The views expressed in this material are solely those of the author and/or Blue Line Futures and IBKR is not endorsing or recommending any investment or trading discussed in the material. This material is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any security. To the extent that this material discusses general market activity, industry or sector trends or other broad based economic or political conditions, it should not be construed as research or investment advice. To the extent that it includes references to specific securities, commodities, currencies, or other instruments, those references do not constitute a recommendation to buy, sell or hold such security. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.

In accordance with EU regulation: The statements in this document shall not be considered as an objective or independent explanation of the matters. Please note that this document (a) has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and (b) is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination or publication of investment research.

Any trading symbols displayed are for illustrative purposes only and are not intended to portray recommendations.

Disclosure: Futures Trading

Futures are not suitable for all investors. The amount you may lose may be greater than your initial investment. Before trading futures, please read the CFTC Risk Disclosure. A copy and additional information are available at ibkr.com.