KTOS: Buy here. Stop 16.75.
STNG: Buy at 22.25. Stop 20.75.
HDS: Short at 38. Buy stop 39.75.
Fall From Grace:
- The industrials were at one point earlier this year neck and neck with technology. Those days are long gone as the XLI has slipped to the 7th best actor of the major 11 S&P sectors. That skid can be seen on a 3 month time frame of those same 11 groups, and it has fallen to the 9th best behaved, and one of just three which are DOWN during that span (notice real estate and utilities are the best behaved and may explain why markets have been somewhat fragile since). FDX is still in disarray off 40% from most recent 52 week highs, while peer UPS is just 9% off its most recent yearly peak. TTM has fallen 14 of the last 16 weeks, AGCO which until late last month a beauty of a chart is now in bear market mode. GVA is down more than half from its 52 week highs, without the courtesy of a 2:1 split (humor stab). CAT is looking at a 5 week losing streak down 28% from recent peaks. This is a time to favor cash, in any area of the market. If a sustained uptrend is to persevere in the near term you can afford to miss the first 3-5% recovery.
Preparing For Descent:
- The relationship between crude prices and airline stocks, has not been as important as it used to be. Many say it is a factor of airlines being able to hedge away costs, but whatever the reason may be, the PRICE action is telling you that. AAL for one has been more than cut in half since a bearish WEEKLY evening star candle was completed the week ending 1/26/18 that dropped 8.6%. Former leader SAVE has slumped another 6% this week so far, AFTER cratering by a combined 23% the 3 weeks prior. Names like CPA have bucked the trend, and it may be a buy at the gap fill near the very round par number, but it makes sense to avoid the group. When a space has a lack of leadership, it makes even the winners failure prone.
- Some names in the industrial group started underperforming peers, well before the recent onslaught. Below is the chart of ROL and how it appeared in our 8/1 Industrial Note. The stock is now 27% off most recent 52 week highs, and is on pace for a 4 week losing streak dropping 4% the last couple weeks, AFTER a 9.4% slump the week ending 7/26. It has been under distribution since last September and has produced three straight negative earnings reactions falling 10.5, 10.1 and 3.1% on 7/24, 4/24 and 1/23. This one feels heavy.
- Defense play higher by 28% YTD and 42% over last one year period.
- Down by a combined 24% last 2 weeks on big volume. Lower by another 4.3% this week so far.
- Group showing nice strength with strong action from NOC LMT and AJRD.
- Enter here after Wednesday’s bullish engulfing candle at rising 200 day SMA.
- Entry KTOS here. Stop 17.
- Marine transportation play higher by 30% YTD and 8% over last one year period. Dividend yield of 1.7%.
- Lower 4 of last 5 weeks, with 4 decliners CLOSING at lows for weekly range. Off another 2.4% this week so far, now 26% off most recent 52 week highs.
- Last earnings reaction fell 1.3% on 7/31, but could be forgiven with prior 3 all rising nicely by 7.2, 8.7 and 7.2% on 5/2, 2/14 and 10/31/18.
- Enter on pullback into 200 day SMA at 22.25, a line that was resistance dating back years. Should become support.
- Entry STNG 22.25. Stop 20.75.
- Industrial supplier laggard lower by 1% YTD and 16% over last one year period.
- Lower 8 of the last 14 weeks, and another 2.8% this week so far. Now down 21% from most recent 52 week highs.
- FOUR consecutive negative earnings reactions lower by 5.8, 3.9, .6 and 1.9% on 6/11, 3/19, 12/4 and 9/5/18.
- Short into bearish descending triangle breakdown at 38. Break carries measured move to 29.
- Entry HDS 38. Buy stop 39.75.
Buy after bullish engulfing candle at 200 day SMA support KTOS here. Stop 16.75.
Buy pullback into 200 day SMA STNG 22.25. Stop 20.75.
Short into bearish descending triangle breakdown HDS 38. Buy stop 39.75.
The opinions expressed by the author are his own. Trades or positions discussed by the author are neither a solicitation to buy or sell a security, nor are they investment advice. Recipients should always do their own due diligence before buying or selling a security. Every reader is responsible for his/her decision to buy or sell a security.
Disclosure: Interactive Brokers
Information posted on IBKR Traders’ Insight that is provided by third-parties and not by Interactive Brokers does NOT constitute a recommendation by Interactive Brokers that you should contract for the services of that third party. Third-party participants who contribute to IBKR Traders’ Insight are independent of Interactive Brokers and Interactive Brokers does not make any representations or warranties concerning the services offered, their past or future performance, or the accuracy of the information provided by the third party. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
This material is from ChartSmarter and is being posted with permission from ChartSmarter. The views expressed in this material are solely those of the author and/or ChartSmarter and IBKR is not endorsing or recommending any investment or trading discussed in the material. This material is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any security. To the extent that this material discusses general market activity, industry or sector trends or other broad based economic or political conditions, it should not be construed as research or investment advice. To the extent that it includes references to specific securities, commodities, currencies, or other instruments, those references do not constitute a recommendation to buy, sell or hold such security. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.
Disclosure: Order Types / TWS
The order types available through Interactive Brokers LLC’s Trader Workstation are designed to help you limit your loss and/or lock in a profit. Market conditions and other factors may affect execution. In general, orders guarantee a fill or guarantee a price, but not both. In extreme market conditions, an order may either be executed at a different price than anticipated or may not be filled in the marketplace.
Disclosure: Author Security Holding: No Positions
The author does not hold any positions in the financial instruments referenced in the materials provided.
Disclosure: Margin Trading
Trading on margin is only for sophisticated investors with high risk tolerance. You may lose more than your initial investment.
For additional information regarding margin loan rates, see ibkr.com/interest
Disclosure: Futures Trading
Futures are not suitable for all investors. The amount you may lose may be greater than your initial investment. Before trading futures, please read the CFTC Risk Disclosure. A copy and additional information are available at ibkr.com.